By Ambassador Heather Foley
Ahh, the pumpkin spice everything is in full swing.
There is a chill in the air (well, sometimes there is).
Your Chevron Houston Marathon or Aramco Houston Half Marathon countdown is in single digit weeks now.
The only thing that stands between you and that magical start line is the holiday season! Think you can’t enjoy the holidays while you train? I am here to tell you that you can! I have trained for a lot of marathons and once used to get a little nervous when the festivity planning would start to roll in and I would worry that I couldn’t do it all with the longest training runs happening to fall on some of the key party/holiday weekends.
Here are my tips for successfully balancing your training and the holidays!
- Get a big ol’ calendar and map it out! Write the mileage you need for each day for the whole month and that way nothing sneaks up on you!
- Traveling? Excellent opportunity to explore! Mapmyrun or Strava has all kind of searchable places for all different cities. Just search the city you will be in and get your miles in where the locals do!
- Plan your own celebrations! Know you are going to have to cut out of a party early for a long run the next morning? Plan a celebratory brunch, that way you have something to look forward to after you finish those long miles!
- Make your run festive. Need to get in your weekday sixer? Try running through the Christmas Lights in Tanglewood or River Oaks for those miles instead of your usual route. There are also plenty of Christmas Light Runs around town.
- Get people involved with your successes. Don’t be shy! Share that post run photo of your shoes/watch/self after you conquered that long run. Did you knock out 16 miles before most people got out of bed? Tell us! You never know who you are motivating.