2020 Volunteer Opportunities
More than 7,000 volunteers contribute to the success of the Chevron Houston Marathon, Aramco Houston Half Marathon and the We Are Houston 5K presented by Aramco and Chevron each year! We couldn’t do it without all of HOU. Race Crew volunteer registration for the 2020 Houston Marathon Weekend of Events is now open. Specific opportunities are available below or click here to view all.
Race Day FAQs
If you are interested in volunteering as a group this year, please click here to submit a request for more information.
Besides being part of Houston’s largest single-day sporting event, Race Crew members receive exciting perks like:
- Race Crew T-Shirt
- Race Crew Jacket*
- Virtual Event Bag
- Volunteer Certificate
- Entry into RunFest festivities
- Free parking
*Available for shifts that take place on Sunday only. Limited quantities on a first come, first served basis. Sizes will not be guaranteed.
The Houston Marathon Health & Fitness EXPO presented by Texas Children’s Hospital and Houston Methodist
Friday, Jan. 17 & Saturday, Jan. 18
Welcome each of our participants to the Houston Marathon Health & Fitness EXPO presented by Texas Children’s Hospital and Houston Methodist at the George R. Brown Convention Center. The EXPO is often the first stop for many runners, bringing months of planning and preparation to life. Share in the anticipation of race day and wish this year’s participants ‘good luck’ by registering to volunteer at EXPO.
- 5K T-Shirt & Gear Check Bag Distribution: Volunteers will distribute t-shirts, programs, and gear check bags to each 5K participant.
- Confirmation Tablets: Volunteers will assist runners by looking up their information on tablets.
- EXPO ASK ME Brigade: This high-energy role will assist guests with EXPO or race day questions.
We Are Houston 5K presented by Aramco and Chevron
Saturday, Jan. 18
Are you running on Sunday or just can’t wait to get the weekend festivities started? Join us Saturday morning for a volunteer opportunity with the We Are Houston 5K. From gear check to the finish line, we need volunteers every step of the way.
- 5K Food: Volunteers are needed to help distribute food to 5K participants.
- 5K Race Day Packet Pick-Up: Volunteers will distribute runner race bibs, instruction packets and t-shirts to participants.
- 5K Gear Check: Volunteers will place bags according to bib numbers in bins and will retrieve bags for runners upon their completion of race.
- 5K Refueling Station: Help distribute water and Gatorade Endurance to runners.
- 5K Course Marshal: Help us keep our 5K runners safe and on the course.
- Green Crew: Green Crew volunteers will be responsible for manning the recycling stations throughout RunFest and the 5K Finish Line. Volunteers will roam the area, educating the public on what can be recycled and how to divert trash from landfills.
Chevron Houston Marathon & Aramco Houston Half Marathon
Sunday, Jan. 19
Race day would not be possible without the help of our reliable volunteers. Learn more about opportunities to help our runners cross the finish line.
- Start Line Crew: Start line crew members are needed for a variety of positions on race morning. You will be the first Race Crew member a runner may interact with on race day, so get ready to roll out some first-class, Texas-sized hospitality!
- Refueling Stations: Distribute water and Gatorade Endurance to participants at water stations throughout the course.
- Course Marshal: Get a front row seat to the race! Cheer on the runners while helping us make sure the course stays safe for our participants.
Race Day Services
- Gear Check: Join a team of friendly volunteers in the GRB that help runners check in their bags.
- Green Crew: Volunteers will manage the recycling receptacles and educate the public on what can be recycled.
- ASK ME Brigade: Assist all participants and spectators with any race day related questions.
- Finisher Water Distribution: This role consists of distributing bottled water and bananas for all finishers shortly after they pass the finish line.
- GRB Refueling Station: Volunteers set up and distribute Gatorade and water to runners inside the GRB prior to and after the race.
- H-E-B Food Court: Upon completion of the race, participants receive a hot breakfast from H-E-B. Volunteers are needed to help serve runners and maintain the food court area.
Medical Team Opportunities
Doctors, nurses, EMTs – we need them all! Our team of medical professionals are crucial to our race operations and the safety of our runners. Click here to explore the medical volunteer positions.
Accessing Your Volunteer Account After Registering
Occasionally you may need to access details regarding your shift responsibilities or to cancel your volunteer shift. This information can be accessed by logging into your volunteer account here. If you are unable to find the information you need, please contact your Race Crew captain.
Thank you to our volunteers! You make the Chevron Houston Marathon Weekend Events happen, and we are incredibly grateful…
Save a Life with Hands-Only CPR
On race weekend the Houston Marathon Committee coordinates medical coverage along the course and at the George R. Brown Convention Center. Public safety officers, EMS, and over 500 medical volunteers make this one of the safest races in the country, but we still need your help. The partnership of our medical team, spectators and participants can create a broad safety net for all participants. This is especially important in the rare but real possibility of a cardiac arrest on the course. You can help bridge the gap between the time when a person has a cardiac arrest and when definitive medical help arrives. Hands-only CPR is that bridge. By watching this video, you will develop a better understanding of how hands-only CPR works.