We value your privacy and are committed to protecting your Personal Data and providing you with notice about what information we collect and how it is used, what choices you have regarding the collection of this date, use and distribution of that information, the security procedures we implement to protect that information and what access you may have to correct any inaccurate information we have collected.
Please review this Policy carefully. If you do not agree with this policy and our practices, you may contact us using the “Contact Us” section at the bottom of this policy. Please also understand that it is ultimately your choice to use or not use our Site and Services.
Who are we and what do we do?
The Houston Marathon Committee, Inc. (HMC) is a 501(c)4 nonprofit organization that plans the Chevron Houston Marathon, Aramco Houston Half Marathon, We Are Houston 5K and related events.
The Houston Marathon Foundation, Inc. (HMF) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that is separate, but associated with the HMC and supports the advancement of running as an element of a balanced, healthy lifestyle in the Houston community and nationally. The HMF hosts two annual family fun run events each year.
What is Personal Data and How Do We Collect It?
Personal Data is any information that identifies or relates to an identifiable individual. We store information that you voluntarily enter on our website, on our registration forms, and provide to us in any other way, such as via email, online, telephone or otherwise.
What Personal Data Do We Collect?
- Registration and Purchasing Products/Services
- During the registration process for our events as a participant (“participant”) or as a volunteer (“volunteer”), we and our third-party vendors collect and retain the Personal Data that you voluntarily submit to us, which may include:
- Mailing Address
- Date of Birth
- Telephone Number
- Account and Payment Information
- Email Address
- This Personal Data may be used, for example, to communicate with you regarding our events and your participation in our events or your involvement as a volunteer.
- Customer Service Support
Through Customer Support, we may collect Personal Data during correspondence with you.
- Race Day Tracking
We provide Participants with race bibs that contain a device designed to record runner race times at various physical location points over a given race course for purposes of timing and scoring Participants’ Events. Participants therefore generate this additional type of data, which concerns the Participants’ physical location at a particular time and in a particular place during our events which is then shared on the Event results site (the “Results Data”). If you do not want to record such information, you may remove the timing device on the back of your bib by peeling off the thin tag with your race number. If you would like your results data and information removed from our website, you may contact us using the “Contact Us” section below.
- Third-Party Vendors
The HMC has third-party vendors that may also collect information from you on our behalf for products and services. All credit card information collected by third-party vendors is kept encrypted and is only accessible for a short time. The Houston Marathon Committee never has access to this financial information.
- We and our service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through a browser or device: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through devices, such as computer type (Windows or Mac), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version and the name and version of the Services being used. We use this information to ensure that the Services function properly;
- Cookies: Cookies are small text files that are stored directly by your browser on the computer or mobile phone being used. Cookies allow us to collect information such as user preferences, browser type, pages visited, and other anonymous website traffic data. We and our service providers use the information for security purposes, to facilitate navigation, to display information more effectively, and to personalize the user experience. Declining cookies may mean that you may not be able to use the full functionality of this website. Most browsers allow individuals to automatically decline cookies or be given the choice of declining or accepting cookies from a particular website. Please refer to http://www.allaboutcookies.org for more information;
- Pixel tags and other similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web bugs and clear GIF images) are small blocks of code that allow websites to read and place cookies on your browser and may be used to, track the actions of users (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage amongst other things; and
- Analytics: We use Google Analytics, a service that transmits website traffic to Google servers in the United States. Google Analytics does not identify individual users or associate your IP address with any other data help by Google. We use reports provided by Google to collect and analyze information about website usage and report on activities and trends. You can learn about Google’s practices by going to www.google.com/policies/privacy/ partners/__.
Other Information That May Be Collected
The following information, some of which has been previously mentioned, may be collected as a visitor to our website and forms, but does not reveal your identity or directly relate to you as an individual.
- Browser and device information;
- App usage data;
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies;
- Demographic information and other information provided by you that does not reveal a person’s specific identity;
- Survey responses and similar information which reveals views and preferences, but which does not reveal a person’s specific identity.
Social Networking and Other Data That May Be Collected
You may choose to engage with our Site though video, applications, and other offerings, on or through third-party social networking sites, such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or third-party social media plug-ins and applications. When you engage with our Site or through third-party social networking sites, plug-ins, and applications, you may allow Us to have access to certain information from your social media profile (for example, name, email address, photo, gender, birthday, location, your list of friends, people you follow and/or who follow you, your posts or ‘likes’) to deliver the content or as part of the operation of the application.
We may also obtain non-personally identifiable information (for example, content viewed, running performance, and information about advertisements within the content you have been shown or may have clicked on) from your interaction with our content. We may combine information which we obtain directly through social networking sites or applications with information we obtain directly through the HMC Sites or from other sources.
When you allow us to access information from your social media account, it can enable us to do things like: (i) deliver exclusive content to you, (ii) personalize your online experience with us within and outside our applications or web sites, and (iii) contact you through the social networking sites or directly using your information. By engaging with our Site through social networking sites or applications, you consent to the use of this information in accordance with this Policy.
Additionally, when you provide information in publicly visible areas of social networking sites or applications, it may be viewed by other members of these sites and we cannot prevent further use of the Information.
Use of Personal Data
- Our Use
We use Personal Data to facilitate your race registration and participation and to ensure you have safe and enjoyable experience. This data may be used for the following business purposes:
- Providing notifications concerning our events and organization, including, but not limited to athlete race guides, race bib assignment information, updates about our events, offers from the HMC/HMF and our partners, administrative updates;
- Providing and enhancing the functionality of our services and products;
- answering frequently asked questions;
- responding to customer service requests;
- enhancing your event experience;
- in case of medical emergencies during your participation at our events;
- track and record your event results;
- ensure the safety of all participants and volunteers;
- data analysis;
- internal audits to evaluate our processes and requirements;
- developing new events; and
- marketing purposes, identifying usage trends and the determining the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns and meeting the interests of our users.The HMC, HMF and our partners have a legitimate interest in using this data to ensure a safe event for all.We may also use your Personal Data to send marketing communications such as by sending you newsletters – with your consent of where we have a legitimate interest.
Disclosure of Personal Data
- Third Parties
From time to time we may share Personal Data with third parties to facilitate the services they provide to us. These service providers may include registration collection providers, vendors, contractors, sponsors, website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, email delivery services, and others to whom we are contractually associated or those that require the information in the course of providing a service.
- Other Uses and Disclosures
We may release account and other Personal Data when we are required to do so by law, court order, subpoena or other government or law enforcement authority or regulatory agency, in order to enforce or apply our Services Agreement or other agreements, or when we believe in good faith that disclosing this information is necessary or advisable, including for example, to protect the rights, property, or safety of the HMC, HMF, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection, credit risk reduction or other similar purposes.Personal Data may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, including the United States, and by using our Services you understand that your information may be transferred to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country. In certain circumstances, courts, law enforcement agencies or regulatory agencies in those countries may be entitled to access Personal Data.In addition, we may use, disclose or transfer Personal Data to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- Medical Information and Personal Data
We do not collect medical or health data at the time of registration. Participants may, however, tell us that they would like to participate in the Athletes with Disabilities program – this information is used only to the extent necessary to facilitate any disability accommodations.In the event a participant seeks medical attention during an event, personnel at medical aid stations may collect and store individually personal medical information during this encounter.
- Personal Data and Your Race Results Data
Your Results Data is used to record your performance in one of our events for timing and scoring purposes. It is standard practice in the road racing industry to use some of the information you provided during the registration process, like your age and gender to score you properly and provide official result to you for your participation in one of the HMC events. Results Data is posted to our Site as it becomes available and/or is verified by us. If You are participating in an Event for which there is an online application for “real time” Participant time and location progress, your Results Data will become immediately available (and searchable by your Name or your bib number) to any visitor to our Site interested in tracking your results. Results Data remains on our Site indefinitely. If you wish to participate and do not wish to record a finish time, you may remove the timing device on the back of your bib. For further questions, please contact email@example.com.
- Sites other than HoustonMarathon.com
The HMC has no control over and is not responsible for the privacy policies or information gathering practices of other websites, including those to which may link to us or from us. We strongly recommend that you review the privacy policies of every online service that you use before submitting Personal Data.