We value your privacy and are committed to protecting your Personal Data and providing you with notice about what information we collect and how it is used, what choices you have regarding the collection of this date, use and distribution of that information, the security procedures we implement to protect that information and what access you may have to correct any inaccurate information we have collected.
Please review this Policy carefully. If you do not agree with this policy and our practices, you may contact us using the “Contact Us” section at the bottom of this policy. Please also understand that it is ultimately your choice to use or not use our Site and Services.
Who are we and what do we do?
The Houston Marathon Committee, Inc. (HMC) is a 501(c)4 nonprofit organization that plans the Chevron Houston Marathon, Aramco Houston Half Marathon, We Are Houston 5K and related events.
The Houston Marathon Foundation, Inc. (HMF) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that is separate, but associated with the HMC and supports the advancement of running as an element of a balanced, healthy lifestyle in the Houston community and nationally. The HMF hosts two annual family fun run events each year.
What is Personal Data and How Do We Collect It?
Personal Data is any information that identifies or relates to an identifiable individual. We store information that you voluntarily enter on our website, on our registration forms, and provide to us in any other way, such as via email, online, telephone or otherwise.
What Personal Data Do We Collect?
- Registration and Purchasing Products/Services
- During the registration process for our events as a participant (“participant”) or as a volunteer (“volunteer”), we and our third-party vendors collect and retain the Personal Data that you voluntarily submit to us, which may include:
- Mailing Address
- Date of Birth
- Telephone Number
- Account and Payment Information
- Email Address
- This Personal Data may be used, for example, to communicate with you regarding our events and your participation in our events or your involvement as a volunteer.
- Customer Service Support
Through Customer Support, we may collect Personal Data during correspondence with you.
- Race Day Tracking
We provide Participants with race bibs that contain a device designed to record runner race times at various physical location points over a given race course for purposes of timing and scoring Participants’ Events. Participants therefore generate this additional type of data, which concerns the Participants’ physical location at a particular time and in a particular place during our events which is then shared on the Event results site (the “Results Data”). If you do not want to record such information, you may remove the timing device on the back of your bib by peeling off the thin tag with your race number. If you would like your results data and information removed from our website, you may contact us using the “Contact Us” section below.
- Third-Party Vendors
The HMC has third-party vendors that may also collect information from you on our behalf for products and services. All credit card information collected by third-party vendors is kept encrypted and is only accessible for a short time. The Houston Marathon Committee never has access to this financial information.
- We and our service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through a browser or device: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through devices, such as computer type (Windows or Mac), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version and the name and version of the Services being used. We use this information to ensure that the Services function properly;
- Cookies: Cookies are small text files that are stored directly by your browser on the computer or mobile phone being used. Cookies allow us to collect information such as user preferences, browser type, pages visited, and other anonymous website traffic data. We and our service providers use the information for security purposes, to facilitate navigation, to display information more effectively, and to personalize the user experience. Declining cookies may mean that you may not be able to use the full functionality of this website. Most browsers allow individuals to automatically decline cookies or be given the choice of declining or accepting cookies from a particular website. Please refer to http://www.allaboutcookies.org for more information;
- Pixel tags and other similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web bugs and clear GIF images) are small blocks of code that allow websites to read and place cookies on your browser and may be used to, track the actions of users (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage amongst other things; and
- Analytics: We use Google Analytics, a service that transmits website traffic to Google servers in the United States. Google Analytics does not identify individual users or associate your IP address with any other data help by Google. We use reports provided by Google to collect and analyze information about website usage and report on activities and trends. You can learn about Google’s practices by going to www.google.com/policies/privacy/ partners/__.
Other Information That May Be Collected
The following information, some of which has been previously mentioned, may be collected as a visitor to our website and forms, but does not reveal your identity or directly relate to you as an individual.
- Browser and device information;
- App usage data;
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies;
- Demographic information and other information provided by you that does not reveal a person’s specific identity;
- Survey responses and similar information which reveals views and preferences, but which does not reveal a person’s specific identity.
Social Networking and Other Data That May Be Collected
You may choose to engage with our Site though video, applications, and other offerings, on or through third-party social networking sites, such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or third-party social media plug-ins and applications. When you engage with our Site or through third-party social networking sites, plug-ins, and applications, you may allow Us to have access to certain information from your social media profile (for example, name, email address, photo, gender, birthday, location, your list of friends, people you follow and/or who follow you, your posts or ‘likes’) to deliver the content or as part of the operation of the application.
We may also obtain non-personally identifiable information (for example, content viewed, running performance, and information about advertisements within the content you have been shown or may have clicked on) from your interaction with our content. We may combine information which we obtain directly through social networking sites or applications with information we obtain directly through the HMC Sites or from other sources.
When you allow us to access information from your social media account, it can enable us to do things like: (i) deliver exclusive content to you, (ii) personalize your online experience with us within and outside our applications or web sites, and (iii) contact you through the social networking sites or directly using your information. By engaging with our Site through social networking sites or applications, you consent to the use of this information in accordance with this Policy.
Additionally, when you provide information in publicly visible areas of social networking sites or applications, it may be viewed by other members of these sites and we cannot prevent further use of the Information.
Use of Personal Data
- Our Use
We use Personal Data to facilitate your race registration and participation and to ensure you have safe and enjoyable experience. This data may be used for the following business purposes:
- Providing notifications concerning our events and organization, including, but not limited to athlete race guides, race bib assignment information, updates about our events, offers from the HMC/HMF and our partners, administrative updates;
- Providing and enhancing the functionality of our services and products;
- answering frequently asked questions;
- responding to customer service requests;
- enhancing your event experience;
- in case of medical emergencies during your participation at our events;
- track and record your event results;
- ensure the safety of all participants and volunteers;
- data analysis;
- internal audits to evaluate our processes and requirem