2018 Volunteer Opportunities
Race Crew registration is now open until Jan. 4, 2018 at midnight.
The Chevron Houston Marathon weekend events depend on each individual volunteer to create a successful event. Select a role below to learn more.
Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Sports Medicine Institute EXPO
Friday, Jan. 12 & Saturday, Jan. 13
Welcome each of our 2018 participants to the Memorial Herman IRONMAN Sports Medicine Institute Expo at the George R. Brown Convention Center. The EXPO is often the first stop for many runners, bringing months of planning and preparation to life. Share in the anticipation of race day and wish this year’s participants ‘good luck’ by registering to volunteer at EXPO.
- ABB 5K Packet Pick-Up: Volunteers will distribute runner race bibs and instruction packets to participants with proper confirmation cards or electronic copies.
- ABB 5K T-Shirt & Gear Check Bag Distribution: Volunteers will distribute t-shirts, programs, and gear check bags to each 5K participant.
- EXPO ASK ME Brigade: This high-energy role will assist guests with EXPO or race day related questions.
Saturday, Jan. 13
Are you running on Sunday or just can’t wait to get the weekend festivities started? Join us Saturday morning for a volunteer opportunity with the ABB 5K. From gear check to the finish line, we need volunteers every step of the way.
- 5K Food: Volunteers are needed to help distribute food to 5K participants.
- 5K Race Day Packet Pick-Up: Volunteers will distribute runner race bibs, instruction packets and t-shirts to participants with proper confirmation cards or electronic confirmation copies.
- 5K Gear Check: Volunteers will place bags according to bib numbers in bins and will retrieve bags for runners upon their completion of race.
- 5K Refueling Station: Help distribute water and Gatorade to runners.
- 5K Road Guards: Help us keep our 5K runners safe and on the course.
- 5K Water: This team will distribute bottled water to runners as they cross the finish line.
Chevron Houston Marathon & Aramco Houston Half Marathon
Sunday, Jan. 14
Race day would not be possible without the help of our reliable volunteers. Learn more about opportunities to help our runners cross the finish line.
- Start Line Gate & Rope Crew: Start line crew members are needed for a variety of positions on race morning. You will be the first Race Crew member a runner may interact with on race day, so get ready to roll out some first-class, Texas-sized hospitality!
- Refueling Stations: Distribute water and Gatorade to participants at water stations throughout the course.
- Sector Road Guards: Ensure the safety of the runners & spectators and to make sure there is no negative impact on the community as a result of the race.
Race Day Services
- Gear Check: Join a team of friendly volunteers in the GRB that assist runners check in their bags.
- Green Crew: Volunteers will manage the recycling receptacles and educate the public on how to properly discard trash.
- ASK ME Brigade: Assist all participants and spectators with any race day related questions.
- Finisher Water Distribution: This role consists of distributing bottled water and bananas for all finishers shortly after they pass the finish line.
- GRB Refueling Station: Volunteers set up and distribute Gatorade and water to the marathon and half marathon runners inside the GRB prior to and after the race.
- H-E-B Food Court: Upon completion of the half and full marathon, participants receive a hot breakfast from H-E-B. Volunteers are needed to help serve runners and maintain the food court in order.
Medical Team Opportunities
Friday, Jan. 12 – Sunday, Jan. 14
Doctors, nurses, EMTs – we need them all! Our team of medical professionals are crucial to our race operations and the safety of our runners. Explore the medical volunteer positions available throughout the weekend.
Besides being part of Houston’s largest single-day sporting event, Race Crew members receive exciting perks like:
- Race Crew T-Shirt
- Race Crew Jacket*
- Virtual Event Bag
- Volunteer Certificate
- Entry into RunFest festivities
- Free parking
*Available for shifts that take place on Sunday only. Limited quantities on a first-come, first-served basis. Sizes will not be guaranteed.
If you’re interested in volunteering as a group this year, please fill out the Volunteer Group Interest Form and our team will respond with further details.
Save a Life with Hands-Only CPR
On race weekend the Houston Marathon Committee coordinates medical coverage along the course and at the George R. Brown Convention Center. Public safety officers, EMS, and over 500 medical volunteers make this one of the safest races in the country, but we still need your help. The partnership of our medical team, spectators and participants can create a broad safety net for all participants. This is especially important in the rare but real possibility of a cardiac arrest on the course. You can help bridge the gap between the time when a person has a cardiac arrest and when definitive medical help arrives. Hands-only CPR is that bridge. By watching this video, you will develop a better understanding of how hands-only CPR works.