The Houston Marathon Committee’s Commitment to Sustainability
The Houston Marathon Committee has a long-standing commitment to environmental and social sustainability that includes striving for zero waste, reducing the event’s carbon footprint, encouraging inclusion and accessibility for athletes of all abilities, and supporting 62 local, nonprofit charities.
The HMC earned Gold Certification in 2013-14, 2015-16, 2017-18 and now in 2018-19. In 2012, the HMC became the first sports organization to earn dual certification from the Council for separate events conducted on consecutive days (2012 U.S. Olympic Trials Marathon; 2012 Chevron Houston Marathon), and the HMC has now achieved the Gold level every year since. Learn more about the Council for Responsible Sport and its certifications.
Some of our sustainability initiatives include:
- Encouraging EXPO vendors to minimize and recycle packaging
- Implementing a ban on polystyrene (Styrofoam)
- Donating all discarded clothing on the course to local homeless shelters
- Collecting used shoes at the EXPO for donation
- 100% paperless registration for both race participants and volunteers
- Virtual Goodie Bags
- Utilizing filtered hydrant water at all course water stations, reducing the need for plastic bottles
- Composting all food waste and other organic materials, including all Refueling Station cups
- Providing environmentally friendly portable toilets
How you can help us be more sustainable:
- Bring your old shoes to the EXPO and where they will be donated to Star of Hope
- Reduce your carbon footprint on race day by taking public transit, or sharing a ride with friends and family
- Consider volunteering for a shift with the Green Crew during race weekend to help with our recycling and composting effort
- Use a reusable bottle on race day and refill it at the refueling stations along the course
The Houston Marathon Committee’s pledge to social sustainability
The Houston Marathon Committee is committed to respecting and including athletes and volunteers of all abilities, and not to discriminate on the basis of age, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, race or religion. If you have comments or suggestions for how we can enhance and strengthen this commitment, please contact the race organizers.
Founded in 2008, Boston-based Athletes for a Fit Planet provides sustainability services to races and athletic events of all sizes across North America. The company focuses on helping events minimize their waste, carbon and water footprints and is working with the Houston Marathon Committee to earn certification to the Council for Responsible Sport’s standard.
iRun Productions is a full-service race management team based in Houston, Texas, offering a variety of management, consultation, and branding services that can be combined in a variety of different packages. Everything from comprehensive race management, design, equipment rentals, sustainability consultation, custom websites, promotional items, online registration, timing services, and race day assistance, we are dedicated to providing our clients with all the tools they need to have a successful event!