The Houston Marathon Committee’s Commitment to Sustainability
The Houston Marathon Committee has a long-standing commitment to environmental and social sustainability that includes striving for zero waste, reducing the event’s carbon footprint, encouraging inclusion and accessibility for athletes of all abilities, and supporting 62 local, nonprofit charities.
The HMC earned Gold Certification in 2013-14, 2015-16, and now in 2017-18. In 2012, the HMC became the first sports organization to earn dual certification from the Council for separate events conducted on consecutive days (2012 U.S. Olympic Trials Marathon; 2012 Chevron Houston Marathon), and the HMC has now achieved the Gold level every year since. Learn more about the Council for Responsible Sport and its certifications.
Some of our sustainability initiatives include:
- Encouraging expo vendors to minimize and recycle packaging
- Implementing a ban on polystyrene (Styrofoam)
- Donating all discarded clothing on the course to local homeless shelters
- Collecting used shoes at the expo for donation
- 100% paperless registration for both race participants and volunteers
- Virtual Goodie Bags
- Utilizing filtered hydrant water at all course water stations, reducing the need for plastic bottles
- Composting all food waste and other organic materials, including all Refueling Station cups
- Providing environmentally friendly portable toilets
How you can help us be more sustainable:
- Bring your old shoes to the expo and drop them off at the Waste Management booth where they will be donated to SEARCH Homeless Services.
- Reduce your carbon footprint on race day by taking public transit, or sharing a ride with friends and family.
- Consider volunteering for a shift with the Green Crew during race weekend to help with our recycling and composting effort.
- Use a reusable bottle on race day and refill it at the refueling stations along the course.
The Houston Marathon Committee’s pledge to social sustainability
The Houston Marathon Committee is committed to respecting and including athletes and volunteers of all abilities, and not to discriminate on the basis of age, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, race or religion. If you have comments or suggestions for how we can enhance and strengthen this commitment, please contact the race organizers.
Waste Management Sustainability Services is partnering with the Houston Marathon Committee to incorporate green strategies into every stage of the event. Not only do they provide port-o-lets and oversee waste, recycling and composting on race weekend, Waste Management will also help the Houston Marathon Committee think about how to decrease the amount of waste coming into the event, strategize on reusing materials from year to year, find outlets for more nontraditional recyclable materials, and help position the Houston Marathon as one of the most sustainable races in the country.
Founded in 2008, Boston-based Athletes for a Fit Planet provides sustainability services to races and athletic events of all sizes across North America. The company focuses on helping events minimize their waste, carbon and water footprints and is working with the Houston Marathon Committee to earn certification to the Council for Responsible Sport’s standard.