The Susan Poorman Blacke scholarship is named after long-time Houston Marathon Committee Board Member and Houston Marathon Foundation Founder, Susan Poorman Blackie. Susan embodied the generosity and volunteer spirit that exemplifies the Houston Marathon community of volunteers who make the event possible each year. It is this, along with her passion for life, helping others and always abiding by the Golden Rule while treating others with respect, kindness and acceptance that we honor her while creating legacy for the Houston Marathon Foundation and our mission to advance running as a healthy lifestyle opportunity.
Who is eligible to apply?
- High School Cross Country Team members throughout the greater Houston Area
- US Citizen
- Resident of the State of Texas
- Plan to attend a Texas college or university (HMF does not fund out of state scholarships)
- Meet academic and class rank standards
- Meet ACT/SAT Standards
- Submit a complete application with appropriate documentation
- Reside in one of the following counties: Harris, Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Grimes, Hardin, Jefferson, Liberty, Matagorda, Montgomery, Orange, Polk, San Jacinto, Walker, Waller, Washington and Wharton
What type of scholarship is available?
- $5,000 annual award for one male and one female student (Total Value potential is $20,000 over 4 years; with consecutive year approval and meeting of academic requirements)
- New Scholarship recipients will be awarded every other year
- Participants are eligible to re-apply for four consecutive years as long as he/she maintains a B average, remains in good academic standing and is enrolled as a full time student in a degree track program.
How will funds be delivered?
- Funds will be sent directly to the financial aid office and paid directly to the college or university provided by the award winners.
- Applicants must meet all requirements and deadlines
- Personal Statement
- Provide transcripts and test scores
- Provide FAFSA
- List all leadership activities
- List athletic participation and community service
Applications are being accepted through May 18. Apply today!